Halloween is over and Thanksgiving just around the corner. These are traditional markers for bringing in the harvest and other winter preparations. We are trying to check off our fall do lists, and thought we might share some of the things on it with you.
Lawn Fall Prep
- Re-pot and bring in an houseplants that went outside for the summer
- Cut Back Perennial Plants
- Divide Perennials
- Dig up are cover and mulch cold sensitive bulbs
- Over seed the lawn
- Plant bulbs that will bloom next spring
- Remove Fallen Leaves
- Clean Gutters
- Drain and store hoses/ winterize sprinklers
- Winterize and properly store lawn equipment, like the mower, weed eater, and power washer.
That’s a lot just concerning the yard. Not to mention taking down and tilling the garden beds. We will start taking down some of ours this week. Not all of them though our tomatoes are still going like crazy. I will leave them until we get a heavy frost and pick what I can the night before.
Some of the really important things go in inside the house. Or will help keep the house warmer when it does get cold (eventually). Not to mention also needs done for safety reasons.
Fall Safety Checks
- Sweep the Chimney
- Clean the gas furnace, and check for gas leaks
- Cut firewood
- Check doors and windows for cracks. Silicone or add weather stripping if needed
- Spray for spiders
That doesn’t even include dragging out all of the winter clothes and making sure that the kids coats still fit.
Plus we can’t forget the pets. We love heated water bowls, they make our lives so much easier. We also try to keep an extra bale or two of hay on hand for the chickens or just in case the dogs have to stay outside for an extended period when its cold.
That’s most of our winter prep list. I am sure I forgot something, but it’s a start anyway. Hopefully it helped you remember something you may have forgotten.